Feb 24, 2009

Who's Flying the Plane?

Finally, regarding the inaccurate statements spread around the internet about Airbus aircraft and automation - I'll post this five-part video. While I take issue with a few of the statements and conclusions in this production I agree with the main point. Which is that pilots are the last line of defence against accidents and that pilots are responsible for properly understanding, respecting and utilizing the technology built into their aircraft. Sometimes that means trusting it implicitly. Other times, not!









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched this program on a seatback TV in-flight once. My husband thought they should have blocked it.

Aluwings said...

That's actually quite funny - in a macabre sort of way. Not what I would like to watch enroute either!

Aviatrix said...

I'm curious about the system that allowed the encoder to show a normal climb to 7000' while the altimeters were completely frozen at seal level, but that didn't show the descent.

I also laughed out loud when the pilots asked the tower for a radar speed and the controller gave them everything but. Probably an editing error.

Aluwings said...

For a very detailed analysis of the accident, including a link to a 757 static system diagram, click here