Jan 24, 2008

The Gimli Glider retires to the desert.

Final Flyby...

On Thursday, January 24th, fin 604, the Boeing 767-200 better known as the Gimli Glider, will undertake its final voyage from Montreal to Mojave Airport (MHV) before it is retired to the desert. Fin 604 which has now become part of Canadian aviation history, is set to depart as flight AC7067, at 9 a.m. from Montreal.

Captain Robert Pearson and First Officer Maurice Quintal, the flight crew who landed the aircraft to safety in Gimli on July 23, 1983 are expected to be on hand for the aircraft's departure.

AC B-767 fin #604 Going South


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was there ever any discussion to retire C-GAUN at Gimli? The cabin might make a nice small museum of the famous Gimli glider.

Aviatrix said...

Ahh, I was going to blog on that. Thank you for recognizing the occasion. I agree with your first commenter that it would make a lovely museum. I wonder how much it would have cost to strip it down and have it make one last landing at Gimli instead of Nevada.

zb said...

Aluwings, thanks for pointing my interest to this retirement of a plane. May I please encourage you to post stories about flying planes into the desert for storage or retirement? I still can't say exactly why, but desert airports/storage yards/scrap facilities are extremely fascinating for me. I hope nothing is wrong with me. You may have flown into such places. If this is true, please tell us about those trips in your blog.